Wednesday, April 13, 2005

A Fathers Heart

I imagine if you spoke to any father with a son what I am about to write has gone through his head.

"If only he could learn from my mistakes." How many fathers out there feel the same way? How many of us have expectations of our sons that they will never live up to? Do we lower the bar? Tell our sons "We have arrived!" and pretend like we are the thing he should aspire to be?

I wonder if my son will ever live up to my expectations for him to be more than I am. I look back on my own life and think I have failed my father by not becoming more than he is. Am I just taking his place in the rat race? Did I let him down? I know he will say I didn't if I ask him, but I'm sure I would say the same to my son. I am sure that there is something inside of him that is disappointed what has come of my life. It seems like the son can never learn from the mistakes of his father he is just doomed to repeat them and find himself thinking the same things that his father did.

My father always told me I could do anything I put my mind to, and I believed him. I suppose I never put my mind to much. Sorry dad.

1 comment:

Kaycee said...

You obviously aren't reading your own blogs! You have achieved so much. You have found your sole mate, which 50% of america or even more will never do and you have created a child. Now, lots of people can have sex and have a child, but now a days very few can do it on purpose and in a loving, caring family enviornment. You need to give yourself more credit. You have done a lot!